Thursday 25 August 2016

Balance? What Balance? Where did my life go?


I’ve started Facebook group for busy mums that are looking for balance. A place where people can go to be supported and support others. You need to get your booty over there.

Let's face it - mumming is a tough gig. We’re all doing our best and most of us feel like we are stretched pretty thin. This is certainly the case for me, most of my girlfriends and seemingly for a lot of the wonderful ladies I’m talking with on social media. There is no shame in saying we are tired, we are worn out and we aren’t feeling particularly satisfied.

The other thing I’ve noticed is that a lot of the women I’ve met who take a gamble and back themselves are women who reached the point of no return. Their lives could not or would not continue as they were. Often the trigger for life change is relationship breakdown, job loss or mental health. It's hard to see it at the time, but sometimes these horrible things end up being a great gift. We are pushed so far that continuing on in mediocrity is no longer an option. We realise that we have to put ourselves first in order to care for others and be the best person we can be.

For me, the real trigger to change my life was a very severe bout of post natal depression. Believe me post natal depression is the pits. I will talk more about it another day, but the short version is that I did a LOT of counselling and for the first time in my life I examined my values were and whether I was living my life in a way that aligned with those values or just doing the things I thought I “should” do.

I was doing all the things I thought I should do to appear like I had it all together and be "successful". But I didn’t have it all together. I don’t think many (if any!) of us do.

My favourite thing to do is catch up with a gal pal and debate the meaning of life, whether parenting is really meant to be this hard and where the hell did our lives go. Seriously, some days it seems hard to even remember the woman I was before I had kids.

Hanging out with my gal pals and chatting about these things reminds me of the woman I used to be. When I’m with my gal pals I swear, I snort with laughter and I laugh. I love it. It re-energises me and I usually come out the other side with a new perspective on whatever is troubling me at the time.

So I’ve created a Facebook group that is for these very things. You want to know how to get more balance in your life, buzz on over and let us know what your struggling with. Chances are someone else has already been there, done that and come out the other side a better, braver and happier person person. 


I hope to see you there. Check out the Facebook page here: Balance? What Balance? Busy mums seeking balance

No comments:

Post a Comment